Dr. Rasul Bakhsh Rais
Dr. Rasul Bakhsh Rais is Professor of Political Science in the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, LUMS, Lahore since 2002. He took off from LUMS and served at the Institute of Strategic Studies, Islamabad from August 2013 to December 2014. Dr. Rais has Ph.D. in Political Science from University of California, Santa Barbara. Before joining LUMS, he remained associated with the Quaid-i-Azam University, Islamabad for nearly 22 years as Professor/Director, Area Study Centre and prior to that as Associate Professor in the Department of International Relations. He was Quaid-i-Azam Distinguished Professor of Pakistan Studies at Columbia University, New York for 3 years, 1991-94. He took Fulbright fellowship at Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, 1997-98, Social Science Research Fellowship at Harvard, 1989-90, Rockefeller Foundation fellowship in International Relations at the University of California, Berkeley, 1985-85. He is author of Recovering the Frontier State: War, Ethnicity and State in Afghanistan (Lanham: Lexington Books, 2008), War Without Winners: Afghanistan’s Uncertain Transition after the Cold War (Karachi: Oxford University Press, 1996), Indian Ocean and the Superpowers: Economic, Political and Strategic Perspectives (London: Croom Helm, 1986), editor of State, Society and Democratic Change in Pakistan (Karachi: Oxford University Press, 1997) and with Charles H. Kennedy, Pakistan 1995 (Boulder: Westview Press, 1996) He has published widely in professional journals on political and security issues pertaining to South Asia, Indian Ocean and Afghanistan. His current research interests are: Modernism, State and Challenge of Radical Islam in Pakistan.
- Pakistan’s Disputed Destiny: Modernism, State & Challenge of Radical Islam
- Junior Fellowship in Peace and Conflict Studies
- Rais, R. B. (2011). Religious Extremism and Terrorism in Pakistan: Challenges for National Security. In South Asia: Beyond the Global Financial Crisis (pp. 117-139)
- Rais, R. B. (2015). Pakistan’s Strategic Culture and Deterrence Stability on the Subcontinent. Deterrence Instability, pp. 95
- Rais, Rasul Bakhsh. (1993). Afghanistan and the regional powers. Asian Survey, 905-922
- Rais, R. B. (1994). War without winners: Afghanistan's Uncertain Transition after the Cold war. Oxford University Press, USA